Although exhibition banner stands are typically much smaller than other display solutions, perfecting your roller banner design is just as crucial as it is on a larger exhibition stand.
As with every other display stand, it’s important to base your design around the type of roller banner rather than choosing a banner stand based on your artwork.
What is the purpose of your roller banner?
To do this successfully, it’s imperative that you know the objectives and aims of your roller banner before investing.
For example, if the purpose of your roller banner is to provide contact details for your business at an exhibition alongside a larger display, you more than likely will be better off purchasing a smaller width roller banner.
If you intend to use your banner stand as the feature backwall for your display stand, a large format banner or a linkable roller banner will be best.
How often will you use your roller banner?
Next, you need to think about how frequently you intend to use your roller banner.
If you attend one or two trade shows a year, an entry level pull up banner stand like the Grasshopper roller banner is a good choice.
Designed for light use, the Grasshopper comes in a range of widths and offers high-quality banner vinyl media for a fraction of the price of other banner stands.
The next bestselling roller banner we manufacture is the Orient display banner. Available in five widths and with a unique hybrid support pole, the Orient graphic extends from the front of the base for a tidier and sleeker finish. Plus, the 2m graphic height allows you more room to promote your brand effectively.
Brands who travel and exhibit or lot or who routinely change their marketing campaigns would be better off investing in a replaceable cassette roller banner.
With graphic cartridges that can easily be switched out and replaced, the Merlin replaceable cassette pull up banner is a more cost-effective solution to seasonal advertising changes.
All you need to do is purchase a new graphic as and when is necessary rather than investing in an entirely new banner stand every time.
If you're looking to create a large format branded backdrop, the Link2 roller banner is a great choice because it can be adapted to grow alongside your brand. Plus, the Link2 also offers the option of replacement graphics for when you want to use your existing hardware at a different event.
For reception areas or smaller tabletop displays, a desktop banner like the Breeze roller banner is a good solution because it takes up minimal space and can easily be moved depending on your needs.
The basics of roller banner design
When you have established the aims and objectives of your display, only then can you begin to think about roller banner design.
There is no set way to go about designing your banner artwork, but there are a few general tips and tricks that are worth taking into consideration:
Size – The smaller your banner, the less cramped your roller banner design should be. If you have an 800mm wide exhibition banner, your artwork will look instantly smaller than if you were to use the same design on a 1500mm wide banner.
With this in mind, make everything smaller. Include less text and lessen the size of your imagery. Background space isn’t necessarily dead space; for smaller roller banners it provides breathing room for your graphic design.
In the same way, the bigger the banner, the bigger the design. Imagery and text that is too small won’t effectively fill the display, and this is when background space turns into dead space.
That being said, just because you have a bigger banner stand doesn’t mean that every inch of it needs to be covered with content.
Overcrowding a display is a common but fatal flaw that can make the difference between pulling in traffic to your exhibition stand or not. It’s important to always let your design breathe.
Colour – Incorporating your company colours into your roller banner design is always recommended.
Red, blue and white are instantly associated with Pepsi, just like blue and yellow are the hallmark colours of Ikea.
Keeping a strong branded presence is an essential part of increasing your company exposure, so using the colours of your brand is a fool-proof way to effectively market your business through roller banner design.
The aim of displays is to stand out, so never be afraid of bold and bright colours. As long as your design isn’t too garish, you can get away with almost anything.
Text – We always make a point of saying that exhibition stands aren’t there to host your life story, and the same is true of roller banners.
Avoid chunky paragraphs. Large amounts of text will put people off and take up valuable space that could be used for other things like images.
The key bits of text you should always try to include are your brand name, tag line, website address, phone number and social media tags. Anything else isn’t necessarily needed, but in the end, it all comes down to the purpose of your roller banner.
Imagery – Images are a great way to create an engaging and attractive roller banner design.
The only thing to be cautious of when it comes to images is quality. Low-res images will look pixelated and blurry once blown up to size, so make sure you source high definition photos that will still look crystal clear on a large format banner stand.
As long as you take these four aspects into consideration when coming up with a roller banner design, your display stand should end up looking professional and effective.
Sourcing a graphic designer
If you want to purchase a roller banner but don’t have a graphic designer to create your artwork, we offer a fully comprehensive graphic design service.
One of our talented designers will liaise with you and come up with a design based on your aims and objectives.
They will communicate each aspect of your roller banner design until you are absolutely certain it is what you want.
When you sign off your artwork, our designers will send it through to print.
Alternatively, if you already have your artwork ready, our graphic designers provide a free artwork checking service during which they ensure everything lines up and the artwork is suitable for print.
How we print our roller banners
We manufacture our roller banners in-house using our state-of-the-art printing facilities in Peterborough.
Once a roller banner design is signed off with the customer, it is then moved into the printing queue.
Next, we digitally print the artwork onto banner media vinyl. We spot-check the banner graphic as it comes off the printer to ensure there are no errors and the colour profiles are correct.
Each roller banner is then laminated using a protective crystal matte laminate. The non-reflective layer provides protection against tears, creases and scratches, giving you a longer lasting and more durable display.
When the banner has been cut to size, it is then installed into the roller banner base.
Every display is test-built and quality checked before being packed away and dispatched. This gives us the chance to ensure the artwork is printed to the highest quality and the hardware is fully functional.
Why choose XL Displays for your roller banner?
- Quality assurance – we print and manufacture all our banner stands in-house and so have complete control over the quality and finish of the product. We will only send out banner stands that have been test-built and quality assured.
- Competitive prices – we regularly review our pricing to ensure it is as competitive as it can be - without compromising on quality. Our price promise means we will match a competitor’s price on a genuine like-for-like product.
- Free artwork check – our in-house designers will thoroughly check your artwork before sending it to print to ensure all content is print ready. We never send any artwork to print without consent from our customers.
- Fast delivery – we can supply roller banners in 24-48 hours from receiving print-ready artwork. We understand that sometimes you are up against a tight deadline and we will always work hard to achieve your goals.
- Years of experience – we have many years of experience in designing, printing and manufacturing banner stands. We use this knowledge and expertise to ensure you get a high-quality display that is right for you.
- Graphic design support – we offer a graphic design service where you can work with one of our designers to create artwork that is in line with your branding and brief.
- High quality print and materials – your design will be digitally printed to a photo quality standard, and each banner graphic is then laminated to give tear, scratch and crease resistance. We only use Ultima® Displays UK stock hardware which is backed by industry leading guarantees.
- Customer service – we pride ourselves on being able to deliver excellent customer service throughout our customer's journey with us. Right from the information we add to our website and the expert knowledge our sales advisers deliver, to our informative and reassuring customer service team; no matter who you speak with, every customer will receive the same 5* passionate service. We believe our customers are our best advocates, see what they say in our ever-growing number of Trustpilot reviews.
If you would like more information about our roller banners or our graphic design service, please contact us or call us on 01733 511030. Alternatively, read our Roller Banner Buyers Guide.